Monday 29 August 2011

Third tool for data analysis


The third tool I used is called the fat info finder. According to the instructions given to me for my task, I was suppossed to use RDDA, the Healthy Diet Pyramid, Food Intake Assessment, Recipe Analysis, Energy and Nutrient Compositions in Foods.

 Having used the healthy diet pyramid and energy and nutrient composition in foods tool, I am suppossed to use one other abovementioned tool but I can't seem to find RDDA on the hpb website, the food intake assessment keeps showing an error page and recipe analysis keeps telling me that I have an error with my recipe. Therefore, i've decided to use the fat info finder instead. I feel that this is still highly relevant because we talked about saturated an ustaurated fats in class and I am personally interested in finding out the fat content in my food, especially since my fat free mass was on the higher side when I measured my BMI in school.

Basically fats can be classified into categories such as saturated fats, unsaturated fats and transfats. Transfats are a specific type of fat formed when liquid fats are made into solid fats by adding hydrogen atoms in a process called hydrogenation. Unsaturated fats are a fats derived from plants or animal sources (especially fish), and are at room temperature. Saturated fats are fats that solely come from animals and are solid at room temperature. Excess dietary fats and body fats can result in many chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, high cholestrol and even heart disease. Based on the fat info finder, here's some of the informatin about the fat content of the food I ate over the 3 days, take a look:







Generally , the most of the food I consumed over these three days have a relatively low fat content. If I were to calculate the amount of fat in the food I consumed each day, here's what the data looks like:
  1. 34.2g for food consumed on Friday (26th)
  2. 20.8g for the food consumed on Saturday (27th)
  3. 8.9g for the food consumed on Sunday. (28th)
The average amount consumed per day would be 21.3g.

What I find interesting is that even though my diet on Saturday was the most unbalanced, being low in terms of fruit and vegetable intake and beyond the acceptable range for meat and alternatives, it still has a lower fat content that the food I consumed on Friday.  Of course, this may not be a completely accurate depiction of the amount of fats consumed, since I haven't taken into account factors like the use of oil which increase fat content of for example the french fries. I personally feel that I could have obtained a better analysis through using the Food Intake Assessment Tool. However, my data collected so far does give me an idea or a representation of the fats in my diet. In one of my later entries, I will have some reflections which will include some conclusions drawn from my analysis. Now, it's time for you to take a look at a the healthy one dish meal which I selected to find out more! 














No comments:

Post a Comment